Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lineated Barbets Alarm Clock

[Wed. Feb. 18, 9am Thai Time]
This morning we awoke to Barbets calling. Bu Bok, Bu Bok, Bu Bok. Oh to have more than 3X optical zoom. But you can see them. (Double click to enlarge the pictures) They're there, in the middle of the picture, two one a little above the other.

Does this help? With the binoculars, they were crystal clear, green birds with greyish mottled heads.


Yesterday, on the way home from the Consulate, I passed the DK Book Center, along the outside of the moat of the city center on the East side. It's basically a Thai bookstore and there I met a tourguide, Sun, who has worked for an NGO giving micro-loans to hill-tribe villages and was interested in my idea of training villagers to be bird guides. I told him I was looking for a Thai bird book and they had one at the counter. I bought the Thai version - I want a copy for the office and it does have the names in English and an English index. The two on the left are the same book - one in Thai, one in English, which was published first.

I'm hoping Sun can meet with people at the office to talk more about the bird guiding idea. He seems to know the birds and the different books well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed, not for content (except ads), but for style. Comments with personal insults, rambling tirades, and significant repetition will be deleted. Ads disguised as comments, unless closely related to the post and of value to readers (my call) will be deleted. Click here to learn to put links in your comment.